Companies are using various marketing strategies these days to interact with potential customers. With plenty of powerful marketing tools available in this modern marketing era, it gets a bit tough sometimes to choose which strategy will act as an effective marketing tactic for your business.
Email marketing, being an old marketing channel, has come out to be a proven and effective way of connecting with leads, nurturing them, and turning them into your prospective customers. As the technology is emerging every single day, push notifications, a new marketing channel has overtaken email marketing and has a 4-8X times higher CTR(Click Through Rate) than email marketing campaigns.
In this article, we are going to list the major key differences between E-mail and Push Notifications that will help you analyze which strategy will work the best for you and yield the results of your choice.
Emails play a very important role in interacting with customers. We get various emails every day displaying special discounts, new products, order delivery, reviews, feedback and so much more.
Most E-commerce websites use emails to ask for product reviews, sending transaction receipts, or notify a user if s/he has made changes to their account. Emails actually work better on mobiles rather than desktops. The statistics suggest that marketing emails have a 50% open rate on mobile as compared to desktop.
Pros of Email Marketing -
- Emails can be designed in numerous attractive ways to get your customer's attention. Different tools are available that offer a wide range of interactive templates to get your users hooked on your services.
- You can easily target a wide range of audiences through email marketing, as it is a very easy task to send emails to a large section of the audience.
- Emails allow you to send attachments also. If you want to give more information to your users about your services, you can easily attach the files and let the users understand your services in a more salutary and effective manner.
- Emails are reliable for conveying sensitive and official communications. For example: sending transaction receipts, Login OTP's, invoices, etc.
- Emails are shareable - which suggests that if a user likes your services, s/he can easily share that required email with other users also, which can result in the growth of potential customers.
Cons of Email Marketing -
- Emails may end up in spam! This is the main prominent reason why emails have lost their charm. Users mostly consider promotional content as spam, which results in less CTR and the businesses are not able to reach the target customers at the right time.
- Emails easily violate the privacy and data protection rules when they are received by people who are not interested in your services.
- You will have tons of undelivered emails as they fall prey to spam and never reach the inbox. Spam filters have a tendency to identify spam keywords or content which in turn results in getting more undelivered emails and the businesses suffer from a great loss of potential customers.
- For designing email templates, businesses should have highly skilled marketers so as to get a good response from the customers. Because designing good quality content is very much important to get the users actually go through the content rather than just not even reading it.
- Emails possess a very low opt-out possibility for the subscribers.
For implementing a marketing campaign, businesses usually prefer push notifications these days.
This marketing channel has gained immense popularity within the businesses in a very short span of time. Most E-commerce businesses that have implemented push marketing strategies have reported an increase in conversion rates. Techniques like deep links allow businesses to redirect the users to specific pages on their websites or applications.
For instance : if you are an E-commerce business, when you are sending notifications regarding sale of a specific product, you can use push notifications to direct users to your products page which in turn will let the users scroll through all the products available in your app or website.
Pros of Push Notifications
- Push notifications require limited personal details. This happens quite often that website/app visitors are often reluctant to provide their personal information while filling up any kind of form on the website they have visited as they are not sure about the website's safety and security. But, push notifications have solved this problem as it just requires an enable option to opt-in for such notifications.
- Time-savior strategy - Push notifications to possess behavioral, location, and preference-based triggering, which means you can send notifications to the user based on their current app history, the recent products they have visited or if they have left an abandonment cart, and so much more.
- Track metrics - It allows you to track the recent analytics associated with your marketing campaigns. You can measure open rate, click rate, conversion rate, read time, etc. These metrics allow the businesses to analyze where they went wrong with the campaigns and what are things that should be taken care of from the next time.
- It lets you increase user engagement in an efficient and effective manner. You can send personalized notifications to the users which are of personal interest to them and such notifications get higher opening rates as users love to see things of their choice and interests.
- It allows you to do real-time marketing. Through this, the businesses are able to interact with the right customers at the right time.
- Push notifications possess a low malware probability and thereby a low spam rate as compared to emails.
- The users can easily opt out of push notifications.
Cons of Push Notifications
- Push notifications can be often seen as a pop-up ad. These notifications just pop in on your app or browser when you are into some work. this can make the users feel it's an invasion of their privacy. Many businesses fail to explain the purpose of opt-in; hence, users do not comprehend what they are signing up for. As a result, notifications may come as surprise to the user, or in turn, they may mute your notifications without even wasting a single minute.
- These notifications are also exposed to spamming, as many businesses keep on sending unwanted notifications to their customers without even realizing that this will result into a huge loss for themselves.
- You cannot exchange sensitive information over push notifications. Cash invoices or alerts cannot be sent using these notifications.
- As compared to Emails, push notifications don't allow a large amount of content to be added for a better understanding of the visitors. The content limit in push notifications is about 50 characters.
Both the marketing channels have their own set of merits and demerits. You need to choose which one suits the best for your business and most importantly which one possesses more CTR.
As business owner, we mostly focus on saving on our marketing budgets. Between push notifications and email marketing, Push notifications campaigns are typically free, less expensive as compared to email marketing campaigns.
If you want to send a large amount of information regarding your products and services, I would suggest you go for emails. But if the information is about updates or Flash sales or some personalized discounts for specific users, it is a great idea to use push notifications in such cases as they let you interact with the users even if they are active on your website or not. Push notifications give a better lead generation as compared to Email marketing campaigns.
I hope we were able to list the merits and demerits of both Email and push notifications. If you have further points that might be I have missed. Please feel free to share your knowledge in the comments below.